top of page
Madison Couty Health Dept Logo - White.p
Icon - Food Inspectors.png


The Food Division of the Madison County Health Department (MCHD) is devoted to making sure that the restaurants, grocery stores, taverns, schools, and other food operations that serve food to the public are licensed and inspected.


Permitting &


Applications, brochures, checklists, guidelines and laws...


Frequently Asked Questions

Concern about an existing

Food Establishment?


Create a new

Food Business

How to create / establish new food services operations / businesses...


Below you will find valuable information, brochures and applications to assist you in creating and opportunity a successful food business in Madison County. 

Please feel free to contact us if we may assist you in any way.



Stephanie Cain

(765) 641-9677

Stephanie Cain.png

Sharon Breckenridge

(765) 641-9523

Sharon Breckenridge - Food Inspector.png
Madison Couty Health Dept Logo - White.p
Icon - Food Inspectors.png

The Food Division of the Madison County Health Department (MCHD) is devoted to making sure that the restaurants, grocery stores, taverns, schools, and other food operations that serve food to the public are licensed and inspected.

Other duties the Food Division is tasked with:

The Food Division also provides food safety education, conducts timely follow-up inspections to ensure that corrective action has been taken, and work with operators to prevent future problems.

Specialists also respond to consumer complaints and promptly investigate all reported cases of food-related illnesses. The consumer complaints do require a name and telephone number to be considered a legitimate complaint, but these complaints remain anonymous.

Permttig & Documets

and Brochures

Food Rules

Home Based


Every facility that prepares and serves food should have a written Employee Health Policy in place.

The purpose of an illness reporting policy is to ensure that all food employees notify management when you experience an illness condition and that the appropriate steps are taken to preclude the transmission of food borne illness or communicable disease. 

Food FAQ
  • What are the responsibilities of the Madison County Health Department’s Food Protection Division?
    The MCHD Food Protection Division is to license and inspect retail food establishments in Madison County to reduce the incidence of foodborne illness. These establishments include restaurants, bars, school cafeterias, bakeries, grocery stores, convenience stores and mobile food vendors.
  • What rules/ordinances do the Food Protection Division use?
    Indiana Food Code 410 IAC 7-24, Certification of Food Handlers Rule 410 IAC 7-22, Madison County Food Ordinance, HB 1149 (Home Based Vendors)
  • How often are food establishments inspected?
    Food establishments are inspected approximately twice a year by trained inspectors. The frequency of inspections is based on the type of food served. Restaurants preparing food from raw ingredients are inspected more often than convenience store that serve only non-potentially hazardous foods, such as popcorn and soda. Inspections are also conducted in response to a consumer complaint or as part of a foodborne illness investigation.
  • How are food establishments graded?
    Violations found during an inspection fall into the critical or non-critical category. Critical items can have a direct impact on the safety of food and the potential for Foodborne illness. Non-critical items can play a role in overall performance of the facility, but alone do not directly affect food safety. These are usually sanitation or maintenance issues.
  • What are some examples of critical violations?
    Improper temperatures Touching ready to eat foods with bare hands Food from an unapproved source Poor personal hygiene and employee health
  • What are some examples of non-critical violations?
    Dirty floors Equipment in poor repair Workers not wearing hair restraints (hair nets or caps) Outside trash not covered
  • How long does an establishment have to correct a violation?
    Most violation can be corrected at the time of the inspection, but if necessary a follow-up inspection will occur to ensure the problem is corrected.
  • When is an establishment ordered to close?
    Only in the case where there is an eminent threat to public health will a facility be ordered to be closed until the threat is corrected.
  • How are complaints made against a food establishment?
    If the public has a complaint or concern with a food establishment they may call our office and leave a complaint, their name and contact information. We make every attempt to follow-up on the complaint within 24 business hours.
  • What is a temporary food establishment?
    A temporary food establishment operates only at events and celebrations such as fairs and festivals.
  • What is a mobile food establishment?
    A mobile food establishment move their unit from one site to another. They are required to have a commissary that they must take the unit back to each night to do their cleanup. Mobile units follow the same laws as a restaurant with a few exceptions.
  • What are the procedures to open a new restaurant?
    If the new restaurant is new construction or if it is an established restaurant that is having an extensive remodel than a plan review is needed. A set of construction plans and a fee of $150.00 must be submitted before construction begins. The plans will be reviewed and any changes needed will be relayed to the contact person. After construction is complete and most of the construction debris has been cleanup and before food has been brought into the building, a construction consultation will need to be done by one of our inspectors to assure that all requirements have been met. At this time, if approved a food permit may be purchased. Before the establishment opens, an opening inspection is required. At this time, the establishment should be ready for operations. If all requirements have been met the establishment will be allowed to open.


Check Out Our NEW MCHD Inspections Portal; Search Inspection Reports by Date, Permit Type, City, etc.

New Food Establishmet




bottom of page